Friday 7 January 2011

Random Weekday Walks

I didn't manage to get any walks in during December what with the weather, lots of work and a foul cold. So as part of my new year resolution to walk more I decided to see what delights the area around my office in Vauxhall could offer. First impressions are not good. I've been based there for several years all I've been tempted to do is walk to the local Sainsburys or to the client offices in Victoria (can be a pleasant walk if you say off of the horrendously busy Vauxhall Bridge Road). As, once I have scoffed my lunch, I only have about 30-40 minutes the strolls have to be by necessity quite short.

So far I have fitted in two walks just picking a direction and seeing where it took me.

Pink Floyd - Animals
 The first walk took me past one of the many building sites in the area and then along the Thames. It is not as historic as the stretch by St Paul's where I used to work but watching the water flow by was still very relaxing. I managed to get close to the magnificent Battersea power station (made famous by Pink Floyd who put it on the cover of their brilliant album Animals - the second album I ever bought). Just before the power station the Thames Path diverts around the quirky Tideway Village - an eclectic collection of houseboats which is sadly under threat from developers.


The second walk I took a different direction this time heading through the small Vauxhall Park and then through the Victorian streets nearby. This walk took me to another unusual location Bonnington Square, a community owned square that grew out of a WWII bomb site. It is a restful oasis of plants, seats and sculpture amidst the grey of Vauxhall. For me the highlight is a huge waterwheel salvaged from an old marble workshop and the tale that once a year it turns bringing champagne up from the underworld. The streets around the square are well maintained and appear to have a strong community spirit.

I'll try to fit some more walks in over the next few weeks I certainly felt a lot better for the walks rather than spending more time hunched over my keyboard.

1 comment:

  1. Very nice, Alan. Good post. I enjoyed reading about your walk and I look forward to reading more.

    I just finished making supper. Marylands and organic wheat pasta with caramelized onions and corn, sprinkled with cheese. Followed by a fresh batch of organic vanilla pizzelles.

    That's about all on my end. Hope your next walk is as peaceful as this one was. I will see you next time.

    Happy Walking. And ... Happy Eating.

    ReplyDelete